My pleasure (serves 2-3):
- Milk, 235 ml
- Butter (salted), 2 tbsp
- All purpose flour, 15 g
- Garlic (sliced/chopped), 2 cloves
- Salt (to taste), a pinch or two
- Pasta, 120 g
- Fresh mushrooms (sliced), ~8 pieces
- Sharp cheddar cheese (shredded/cut into tiny pieces), 55 g
- Parmesan (grated), 25 g + additional for topping
- Bread crumbs for topping
- Crushed red pepper/Chilli flakes, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Cajun spice/Paprika powder, to taste
Cook the pasta until tender-firm, also known as al dente.
Heat milk over medium heat until it just comes to a simmer. Turn off heat and set aside.
Melt butter over medium heat.
Add flour and whisk constantly until mixture turns light brown.
Add in garlic. Stir and remove from heat.
While whisking/stirring constantly, slowly add warm milk until evenly combined and smooth.
Return to stove on medium-high heat, whisking constantly until sauce thickens (~2-3min).
Add salt to taste (less if using salted butter, remember the cheeses are salty too).
Stir in both cheddar and parmesan cheeses until just melted and smooth.
Add some cajun spices powder/black pepper if desired.
Add mushrooms and pasta. Mix well. Ready to serve unbaked too.
Transfer to baking dish.
Sprinkle and top dish with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes at 175-200 degrees celsius until bubbling and brown!
(May wish to add parmesan towards the last 10 minutes)